7 BEST RUNNING JACKETS FOR WOMEN REVIEWED 2020
If you are a regular runner or wanting to become one, it is essential that you first understand the appropriate gear for running. I love running, but it’s miserable when it gets really cold and you need that extra layer. Buying the right jacket that breathes so you don’t end up feeling like you’re running in a sauna is important.
A running jacket is the outermost layer of your clothing to provide protection against rough weather conditions. With hundreds of products available in the market, it can be a little confusing to choose the best product. However, instead of focusing on what a good running jacket should not have, try to acknowledge all the features and elements that you would want, in order to make that jacket work for your requirements.
In this guide, we are going to review 7 best running jackets for women in 2020 after an extensive evaluation of their breathability, price, unique features and specifications.
This Ultimate Direction Marathon running jacket for women is great for everyday use and is equipped with advanced features and details. These features are carefully considered by the manufactures to create a jacket that is warm, and lightweight but can withstand the coarseness of any weather.
Expand to See More
- ✓It has a similar hood, flip mitts, and silhouette than its predecessor models
- ✓It is made from a 20 D nylon ripstop with a PU inner face and silicone outer face
- ✓Nylon ripstop is the type of material that is mostly used in camping tents or tarp, which means that this jacket can certainly do well in the light as well as heavy rainfall
- ✓The silhouette of this jacket is simple, and the design is very appealing to attract professional runners
- ✓The back panel features horizontal vents to enhance and improve airflow, but even with that, there is a lot of steaminess inside the jacket, making it a perfect option for rain and winter season
- ✓The integrated Brimmed Tunnel effect hood along with ventilation allows better airflow while keeping the dryness intact
- ✓The addition of cohesive Flip Mitts (self-storing mitts) provides warmth to the hands of the user, thus making it the best running jacket for women on our list
- ✓It is very lightweight and seamless and measures only 152 gm (5.4 oz.)
Despite the lack of breathability, this product is still the best choice for daily running, especially during adverse weather conditions. This jacket is the most interesting product in this list because it is more focused towards performance than comfort.
Expand to See More
- ✓It has a runner-friendly, bombproof layer designing for effective performance in the rain
- ✓Though this jacket is behind some of its competitors in terms of breathability, it still features underarm vents which are completely successful for hard workouts when used in cold weather
- ✓Apart from being lightweight and waterproof, this jacket also has a streamlined snug fit and the best hood in the running jacket business
- ✓It is made up of 10D high-strength nylon (2.5L) with 30,000mm water entry pressure and 30,000 moisture vapor transmission rate
- ✓The water entry pressure and moisture vapor transmission rate make it a UTMB compliant product
- ✓Apart from the fabric, the hood is the main reason why this jacket performs so well in the rain
- ✓The hood comes with a strong brim to prevent the water from dripping on your face. The hood cinches down in two places, i.e. neck and behind the head to keep out any moisture
- ✓The most unique feature of this jacket is its built-in hand covers that are tucked into the sleeves. They are lightweight, and the user can easily pull them out to cover her hands
- ✓It has a slightly tapered back, which helps in achieving a good balance between form and loose-fitting
- ✓There is a single reflective logo towards the front of this jacket and a large logo over the arm
If you are looking for a running jacket to use for lighter day running, look no further than The North Face Women’s Venture 2 Jacket.
Expand to See More
- ✓This jacket is famous for its eco-conscious construction
- ✓It is made from a solid 2.5L 40D DryVent 100% nylon ripstop which means that it contains a high-performing breathable and waterproof outer layer that can protect you from rain throughout the year
- ✓It features zippered underarm vents or pit-zips for better airflow
- ✓There is an attached adjustable hood (along with a drawcord and a front zip) and Velcro closure. With these two features, this jacket gives you enough room to fit other layers of clothing beneath
- ✓It has two hand pockets, thin interior pockets and you can easily pack it into its own left pocket
- ✓The hood is large and has a brim to prevent rain from hitting your face. The double storm flaps on the main zipper are also very effective in keeping the rain from seeping inside
- ✓Unlike its predecessors, this jacket doesn’t have a crinkly, plastic-like feel, so quite pleasant against the skin. The hood and hem have adjustment points so you can achieve a better protective fit
- ✓It is very light in weight and available in different polychromatic colors
If you are tired of facing severe weather conditions while running, go on the attack with the all-new ASICS Women’s Storm Shelter Jacket. This waterproof and breathable jacket will give a boost in your confidence and make you feel equipped to handle almost everything that comes in your way.
Expand to See More
- ✓This jacket consists of a polyester outer and a mesh inner lining with a laminated layer over the top
- ✓The front zippers are waterproof. Both sides of this front zipper feature a polyester lining
- ✓The 2-inch collar consists of a felt lining to provide extra appeal and comfort to the skin. The seams of this jacket are impenetrable, so they do not allow water to seep inside
- ✓This jacket is advertised as 10K WP/10K BR which shows how much waterproof and breathable the fabric is
- ✓From the underarms to the hips, there are 2 zippered openings for proper ventilation. These openings are covered by a wide inner mesh
- ✓When it comes to visibility, this jacket features a 360 degrees 3M reflectivity where the reflective lines ride lengthways to the jacket
- ✓The Asics symbol and the arch band of the reflective fabric towards the upper back make this jacket easy-to-spot even in the most unforgiving weather conditions
- ✓The hood is attached to the jacket through a zipper so you can remove it whenever you want. You can also cinch the hood via pull cords and can also button the hood under your chin to protect your neck from rain
- ✓There are thumbholes at the sleeves to cover your wrist and part of your hands during running in cold weather
- ✓The zippered pouch on the inside has a media port that you can use to string your headphones or to keep your keys or cellphone
- ✓The jacket is true to its size. The hem contains tightening chords to give solid and snug fit
This jacket is best for people who are only looking for a lightweight extra layer to protect themselves from rain.
Expand to See More
It is mainly designed and manufactured to provide protection against wind and water. Even though you cannot wear it in the middle of a heavy rainstorm, you can still opt for it during borderline summer/fall or spring/summer seasons.
- ✓The main body is made of 100% polyester (machine washable)
- ✓The elite barrier fabric consists of WXB garment (to add breathable and waterproof membrane), woven face fabric (to provide durability and wind protection), DWR coating (to maintain breathability and shed water) and PI transfer/PI thermal under-layers
- ✓It features Direct-Vent panels that provide ultimate ventilation and breathability to the jacket
- ✓This jacket comes with a full-length internal draft flap with zipper garage to seal the warmth inside during cold weather
- ✓With secure and wielded exit points, there is a one-hand-pull elastic cord at the waist section for a snug and comfortable fit
- ✓For easy access, you will find one zippered back pocket and one zippered hand pocket
- ✓It features BioViz reflective elements (Biomotion) for low-light visibility and BioViz color options (true fluorescent colors) for daylight visibility
This jacket is breathable, waterproof, and seam-sealed and surely knows how to keep you dry with its high-tech performance.
Expand to See More
- ✓The fabric of this jacket is a combination of 2.5L nylon version with a more indulgent, stretchier fabric present across the upper arms, hood, and shoulders
- ✓For a long-lasting and moisture-shedding finish, this jacket features StrongRepel Super DWR coating
- ✓It also features adjustable hood, hems, and cuffs (for a snug and comfortable head fitting during rain) and pit zips (for fast venting and to prevent overheating during running)
- ✓The hem can spread out far enough down your hips to give proper back coverage and also enable you to fit one or two additional layers under the jacket when running or hiking in wintery, wet weather
- ✓The breathability is moderate. It has pit zips and mesh-backed hand pockets that are enough to provide reasonable protection as compared to other products in the market
- ✓This jacket always looks good and is true to its size even when worn on multiple body types. The stretch in the upper portion is nice and can maintain coverage without restricting dynamic movements
- ✓It can be packed into one of its hand pockets down to the size of a small football
Due to its protective material, its ability to be used in all types of weather conditions and sports activities makes NIKE Hyper Shield Light Women’s Running Jacket the most favorite product of this list.
Expand to See More
- ✓The storm-fit fabric offers great weather protection towards the outside and good airy ventilation on the inside of the jacket
- ✓You are sure to stay comfortable and sweat-free in this jacket, all thanks to its Dri-Fit liner that is capable of managing moisture with a soft feel. Also, you get more coverage since it also features a detachable hood
- ✓The hood here is the scuba hood which provides a great amount of protection while offering a little bit of warmth due to the integrated knit lining
- ✓The visibility of this jacket is though not the greatest; it still offers a thin, reflective strip along the length of the sleeves
- ✓This jacket is incredibly comfortable so you can wear it for as long as you want. It also offers a good deal of flexibility so you can experience a wide range of motion while running and playing with this jacket on
- ✓Though this jacket is very warm, there is still room for ventilation, thanks to the underarm vents and back vents that make sure you are always cool and dry
- ✓This jacket features a very nice, stylish and athletic fit and is also available in a variety of colors to choose from
Now that you have read about each product and its features, we are hoping that we’ve helped you select the perfect running jacket for your upcoming running workout.
With these 7 warm and protective running jackets, you can carry on with your routine workout activities and cover extra distance while running regardless of the weather conditions that you might be facing.
Femininity Embraced is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Femininity Embraced earns fees from products sold through qualifying purchases by linking to Amazon.com. Amazon offers a commission on products sold through their affiliate links.